Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:57:41 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Attila Nagy <bra@fsn.hu>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disk space over 1 TB

Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 10:59:21AM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Attila Nagy wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Just a quick question: with the recent (past 1-2 months) commits made to
> > > CURRENT, is it possible to use more than 1 TB of disk space? (this would
> > > be a hardware RAID array, accessed via SCSI as a single ID, so no ccd,
> > > vinum or other magic)
> >
> > The i386 port uses the generic disklabel code, which has 32 bit logical
> > block addressing, which means that the partitions themselves are limited to
>
> And the Alpha port? I have some multi TB disk arrays around at work that
> I can play with :)

Yes.  If you can figure out how to construct an EFI GPT partition structure
on it, 'GEOM' will detect and use it via sys/geom/geom_gpt.c.
Note that /sbin/gpt needs lots of work.  Right now the only way to do
things is to use fdisk to initialize it and "convert" it to gpt.  This
turned out to be rather painful, but I eventually convinced it to do what
I needed.

It shouldn't be all that hard to finish it off.  The biggest problem I had
was that GEOM didn't have any way to do this live.  I had to create the
partitions on a non-geom kernel, then reboot to see if it worked etc.

Cheers,
-Peter