Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 06:45:12 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Make install

> Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:03:50 +0200
> Sender: Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
> From: Martin Schweizer <info@pc-service.ch>
>
> Hello Kevin
>
> I run a firewall (ipfw) and allow only some special ports (telnet, ftp, http,
> etc.) . If I start make in any ports (in /usr/ports) my box would fetch the
> source file in the internet but if the firewall runs he could not do that.
> Which port I need on my firewall? Sorry about confusion.

Oops. Totally different meaning of "ports" than whet I had assumed.

The ports system uses the "fetch" command. See "man fetch" and "man 3
fetch" for details. It can use either http or ftp, depending on the
content of the Makefile for the given port.

See the "MASTER_SITES" entry in the Makefile. It uses the port, based
on the protocol in the specified URL. If ftp is the protocol, it uses
the environmental variable "FTP_PASSIVE_MODE" to determine whether to
use passive mode FTP or normal FTP. Other environmental variables are
listed in the fetch(3) man page.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)