Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 18:49:21 +0200
From:      wolfgang <GeneralP.Fault@gmx.net>
To:        "Kirk R. Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: finding disk space

In an older episode (Monday 14 October 2002 18:35), Kirk R. Wythers wrote=
:
> I have a 2 disk single user workstation
so i understand that you can easily restart the system.

> that is running out of room on
> /usr. /home is on a second hard disk with scads of space
>

> I'd like to move (with a sym link?) some of /usr which is on da1 over t=
> home which is on da0. Can anyone share some wisdom with me before I try
> this?=20

i am not sure it is wisdom, but i have done it as follows several times=20
successfully ...
let's assume you want to move /usr/local
# mkdir /home/usr-local
# cp -a /usr/local/* /home/usr-local/
# ls /home/usr-local
# du -sh /home/usr-local
once you are sure everything has been copied:
# rm -rf /usr/local
# ln -s /home/usr-local /usr/local

maybe there are more elegant ways to switch, but this should work as far =
as i=20
can tell ... and worked for me.

hope this helps,
wolfgang