Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:27:19 +0000
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   dumpon(8) obsolete

Since sysctl(8) grew support for setting dev_t's, dumpon(8) can be
reduced to:

	sysctl kern.dumpdev=$argument

Since dumpon(8) is not a standard interface and only appears to be
used in /etc/rc, I'd like to change the latter to use sysctl(8)
directly and remove dumpon(8) from the tree.  The only issue I can see
is that there is a lot of relevant information in the dumpon(8) manual
page, but most of it is probably more appropriate for the Handbook or
crash(8), anyway.

If nobody objects, I'd like to move the relevant stuff out of the
dumpon(8) manual and proceed to remove the program itself as described
above.

Thanks.