Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 06:52:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, sef@kithrup.com
Subject:   Re: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf

> In article <199709241008.DAA06292.kithrup.freebsd.hackers@dog.farm.org> you write:
> >the lookups occur only if .rhosts is present.  So, it's in
> >/usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c:iruserok() or deeper (_not_ ruserok() -
> >this one tests by IP address).
>
> Okay, I tried this here, as well:
>
> 	garth:
> 		running 2.2-GAMMA
> 		No local nameserver
> 		/etc/hosts has LAN hosts, and localhost, and nothing else
> 		/etc/host.conf has "hosts" followed by "bind"
> 		/etc/hosts.equiv has "#kithrup.com"
> 		~sef/.rhosts has "kithrup.com" and "kithrup"
> 		/etc/resolv.conf has "domain kithrup.com", and my ISP as
> 			nameservers
>
> 	kithrup:
> 		doesn't matter, I think
>
> I started up two tcpdump's on garth (one for lo0, and one for "host garth
> and not port login and not port klogin" on de0).
>
> Then, from kithrup, I did:
>
> 	rlogin -KL8 garth
>
> No traffic from either tcpdump.
>
> I verified that iruserok() is the same for -current and garth's version.
>
> So I'm afraid I still can't reproduce it, although I am trying.  Any
> suggestions to changes to make to my setup (other than installing a newer
> version of the OS :))?

 Hmmm... my /etc/resolv.conf on the gateway machine
doesn't have my (local) domain name.  That is, the gateway machine
is named "ponds.dignus.com", but /etc/resolv.conf has:

	domain vnet.net
	nameserver 166.82.1.3
	nameserver 166.82.1.8

(which is the domain of my ISP and it's two nameservers.)

Just to get concrete here, my two machines are called:
	ponds.dignus.com  (the gateway machine)
	lakes.dignus.com  (the internal machine)

Also, one difference is that I do have a hosts.equiv on the gateway (ponds):

	#localhost
	#my_very_good_friend.domain
	localhost
	ponds
	ponds.dignus.com
	puddles
	puddles.dignus.com
	rivulet
	rivulet.dignus.com

But, I wouldn't expect that to matter...

	- Dave Rivers -