Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 22:34:46 -0700
From:      "Rahimi, Ali" <ARahimi@e-planet.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd@atipa.com
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Status of USB, TX chipset, PIIX3, etc.

[usb is hard]
[people push usb like slaves pushed stones near the Nile]

Agreed.

>It would also be foolish to leap in in a hurry and waste scarce
>developer resources on the next fad.

Not so if every major manufacturer is looking at USB and if you're
intereseted in staying competitive.

>I think that the lack of peripheral support is telling; particularly

I think it's telling of the fact that most PCs don't have a USB port
on them yet. Compaq and Dell will soon be shipping with USB ports
however. USB will be here soon. Whether it will be a success, I don't
know, I'm not an analyst, PCs with USB ports will be here.

>the custom silicon that is almost critical to producing a
>cost-effective peripheral just hasn't made it to market yet.  At the

I regularly go to 7 different silicon manufacturers when I'm looking
for parts. I went through all 7 of them (they're bookmarked in my
netscape). 5 of them had a USB support chipset (the other two were
memory companies). I'd say the silicon has made it to market. (the
manufacturers, for your reference include TI, National, NEC,Motorola,
etc).

>moment, a peripheral vendor has to undertake development of peripheral
>firmware several orders of magnitude more complex than anything that
>has ever been seen before, or wait for the silicon.
>Not being stupid, most are taking the latter approach.

No, I think most are waiting for the PCs to have the USB port in the
back.

I can't wait to not have to hook up my mouse, my keyboard and my
speakers
to three different looking and completely separate and dispersed jacks.

]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au
[[
 Ali.