Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:57:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, cat@ki.net, geoff@ki.net
Subject:   Re: MotherBoard Jumper Settings...

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier stands accused of saying:
> >
> > 	First off, my CPU is an Intel DX4-100 w Write/Thru.  CMOS
> > was set for Write/Back...have changed it to Write/Thru...
>
> Ouch.  Make sure there were no jumpers relevant to that as well.

	None that I've been able to find, seems to be purely a CMOS
setting...

> > 	Second of all, one of the jumper that was supposed to be
> > set, wasn't...have set it...
>
> Also bad.

	Yup :(

> > 	Third, the Oscillator Frequency was set for 33Mhz instead
> > of 25Mhz...have fixed it...
>
> Wrong.  "DX4" is marketting crap.  They're really DX3's, so 33 is correct.

	Reverted back again...

> > If so, and I haven't changed that one yet, my CMOS is set for 20ns...
> > would that produce any of the bugs I've been reporting?
>
> No.  If the BIOS supports 15ns cycle cache memory then you may be
> able to improve your performance by frobbing that.

	So I should pop this up to 15ns?

> Convention in naming memory parts is to put the size in Kbits in the part
> number; 61512 implies 512kbits or 64kx8 or 128kx4.  (I would expect the
> latter).  The setting you have now implies 8 cache parts, not 4.
> If there's a 256kB/128kbx4 setting, try that.

	The highest I have is 128Kb x 8 x 4pcs, so will try that out...

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org