Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 08:03:20 -0600
From:      "Long, Scott" <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        "'Michael DeMutis'" <mike@2gen.net>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: PERC2 RAID support in 4.1-STABLE

As has been stated my Mike, there are two distictly different PERC2 flavors.
If you have the PERC2/Si or PERC2/QC, then you are using the Adaptec flavor
and will need the aac driver.  This driver hasn't made it's way back to
-stable yet, though Mike has some patches for it at
http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/adaptec/aac-20000912.tar.gz (Mike,
should I commit this sometime?).  To answer about the RAID question, with
the aac cards you can start with a two disk array in either a RAID 0 or 1
configuration, then add a third drive at a later date and the card will
morph it to a RAID 5.  Of course, RAID 0 provides no data protection, so I
would stick with a RAID 1 for now unless speed is more important.

Scott