Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2004 01:58:24 -0500
From:      "Scott Wallace" <swallace377@qx.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   error compiling kernel for SMP

I have a computer running FreeBSD 4.3. This computer has dual 266MHz =
Intel PII processors. I am trying to compile a new kernel for the =
multiple processors. I copied GENERIC to DUALIE and uncommented the two =
lines for SMP kernel. I have tried the old way and the new way according =
to =
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-bu=
ilding.html where it lists both the old way and new way. I cannot get =
either way to work.=20

When trying the old way, everything goes ok until I cd =
../../compile/DUALIE and issue the command make depend at which time I =
get the following error:
    =3D=3D=3D> accf_data
"/usr/src/sys/modules/accf_data/../../conf/kmod.mk", line 63: Could not =
find bsd.init.mk
"/usr/src/sys/modules/accf_data/../../conf/kmod.mk", line 190: Could not =
find bsd.links.mk
make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/DUALIE.

When trying the new way I issue the command make buildkernel =
KERNCONF=3DDUALIE  the make process begins and chugs along for a few =
minutes, then I get the following error:
    =3D=3D=3D> crypto
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
make: don't know how to make des_enc.c. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DUALIE.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I am having great trouble finding anything on the Internet about this =
and pretty much at a loss about what is causing this problem and how to =
resolve it. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Owen Wallace