Date:      Sun, 7 May 1995 23:00:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Bryan A. Young" <powder@fubar.cs.montana.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Install not writing to wd0?

I have a Zeos P66 with two IDE drives.  Wd0 is a Seagate ST5660A with
1057 cylinders.  Wd1 is an older Teac drive with 1282 cylinders and 4
heads.  I've been able to get the boot disk to finish; however, when I
attempt to reboot off wd0, the FreeBSD boot manager just gives me a ?
when I hit "F3" for FreeBSD.  In earlier attempts, I've been able to
boot, but then I get a "Panic:  No Init".  Wd0 is composed of a 320 meg
dos primary partition, a 2mb OS2 boot manager partition, followed by a
198 meg FreeBSD partition.  I have "Large Disk DOS compatibility" turned
OFF and LBA mode addressing turned on, and 16-sector transfers on.  If I
can't boot off the hard disk using the FreeBSD boot manager, I try it
again off of the floppy, and find out, to my horror, that my FreeBSD
boot flag is OFF, even though I hit 0x80 for on.

After the system is restarted from FreeBSD, I often get the message that
drive A: is set to the wrong type.  FreeBSD also says my Pentium runs at
anywhere from 48 to 64 MHZ.  Again, strange.

Thank You,

Bryan Young