Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 2003 04:24:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   FIXED Re: Freenet6: spreading IPv6 addresses to the LAN

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, William Palfreman wrote:

> What I would like to do now is use autoconfiguration to allocate ipv6
> addresses to other [FreeBSD] hosts on the lan.  It isn't happening.

Not that anyone replied, but I fixed this after hunting around for about
the last four days.  It was very simple.  I needed to specify an inet6
address for the internal interface on the firewall (the prefixlen of /64
is the default), and to run rtadvd rl0

# rtadvd -d rl0
# ifconfig rl0 inet6 3ffe:b80:1d82:2::1

and on the hosts I needed to add "ipv6_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf

Entering "sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1" has the same effect,
but obviously putting ipv6_enable="YES" into rc.conf keeps it that way by
default.

I think this could really use being in the handbook.  I suppose the
right thing for me to do is email the author at the top of the page with
an html patch.

William.

--
W. Palfreman. 			I'm looking for a job. Read my CV at:
Tel: 0771 355 0354		www.palfreman.com/william/cv-wfp2.html