Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 10:49:02 -0800
From:      David Bushong <david@bushong.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   load spike strangeness

I have noticed a strange occurrence infrequently over the last year
or so running -STABLE.  I will describe it as best I can, and what
I've tried to figure it out.  I don't expect anyone here to know
immediately why it's happening, but maybe someone can give me tips
on things to try to figure it out.

System:
PII/266 overclocked to 300
3 DIMMs: 2 x 32 + 1 x 64
2 SCSI UW drives: 1 9GB 7200 rpm, 1 4GB 5400 rpm, both IBM
Adaptec 2940UW
Seagate 4GB travan tape drive
IDE Creative 5x DVD w/ mpeg card
Creative TNT video card

Software:
OS: Many different versions of FreeBSD X.Y-STABLE
daemons: apache 1.3.6, named, ypbind, ypserv, nfsd, xntpd

Symptom:
I'm running X, a few xterms, a few ssh's, fvwm2.  Have an xload in
the corner.  Typing along happily, I notice the load running flat
at one.  Never heard any exciting disk activity.  If left
unattended (or even if not) goes away by itself in maybe 5 minutes.
Must time more precisely next time.

Things I tried:
Run uptime.  Get a load of ~ 1.  Check top.  Says CPU is 99.5%
idle.  Run ps, wait 10 seconds, run ps, and compare PIDs.  They
aren't flying by (difference in 'ps' PID is max 1 or 2).  I start
up an mp3 encode on a known track and time it.  The load reads 2
while I'm doing this.  It takes no longer than when my machine is
completely unloaded.

Now I know everyone says load is a poor indicator of this and doesn't
reflect that, but anyone have:

a) any idea what could cause a phantom, meaningless spike in the load?
b) any idea what other things I could try to figure out why this is
   happening?  (i'll try timing it next time, and keeping track of when
   it happens to see if there's a pattern)

Important?  No.  Baffling?  Yes.

--David Bushong