Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2000 10:33:50 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: good network card (xl0 packet dropping)

"Rodney W. Grimes" wrote:
> And now that Intel owns what was the Semiconductor Division of DEC,
> that includes the DEC dc21x4x based cards :-).   In all seriousness
> to add roundness to the ``what works well'' either the Intel Pro/100
> cards or our favorite DEC/Intel DC based card the KNE100TX (NOTE do
> _not_ get sold the cheaper KNE110TX, it is _not_ a Tulip based card!)

Huh?  http://www.kingston.com/networking/install/linuxGEN.asp says:

          5.Click [Which Module?] (hold down the mouse button) and select
                 a."ne" for KNE20xxLC, KNE20xx+, KNE20x, KNE30x
                 b."tulip" for KNE40x, KNE100TX, KNE110TX
                 c."rtl8139" for KNE120TX

We had some KNE120TX's supplied by mistake in a recent batch of machines.
Haven't tried them under FreeBSD, but they seem OK for undemanding use under
Linux/WinNT.  Having said that, I wholeheartedly second Rodney's opinion of
the KNE100TX.

	Matthew

--
           Certe, Toto, sentio nos in Kansate non iam adesse.

   Dr. Matthew Seaman, Inpharmatica Ltd, 60 Charlotte St, London, W1P 2AX
            Tel: +44 171 631 4644 x229  Fax: +44 171 631 4844