Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 10:34:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        erich@ucsd.edu (Eric Hedstrom), e-masson@kisoft-services.com (Eric Masson), lluisma@osi-technologies.com (lluisma), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4-RELEASE and ThinkPad 770Z with 256MB memory

> > [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > > I think you're right about what the problem is, but the solution will be a
> > > little trickier in this case--the 770Z has 128MB built in.
> >
> > Use the npx0 hack, boot -c and set the iosiz of npx0 to 65536, which
> > should cause the machine to come up thinking it has 64M.
>
> See previous email, where I mentioned this happens too late in the boot
> process.  This *would* cause the next bootup to have the smaller amount
> *IF* this information was saved, but on the boo floppy it is not.

No, this one is not too late.  This actually effects sys/i386/i386/machdep.c,
seach that file for NNPX to see how...

> However, this does not help on the boot floppy, since it's going to use
> the probed amount.
>
> (And yes, I have verified that this is indeed the case on my ThinkPad,
> and attempted the exact same thing Rod mentioned above.)

Then someone has borked the code.  Note, that this hack occurs AFTER
the printf() for memory size, so it is not visible in dmesg, so don't
trust dmesg when using this hack.

Perhaps you should add a printf inside the NNPX to prove it to yourself...

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net