Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 13:02:07 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        mmuir@es.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: followup to apm problems.

Hi,

I'd like to have full output of dmesg to investigate hardware
interference in apm.  Could you send me it later?

> 'apm -Z' for standby jumps into standby mode for like.. an instant, then
> comes right back out (while playing mp3)
[snip]
> 'zzz' or 'apm -z' for suspend jumps into suspend mode, and just the same
> way, comes right back out (while playing mp3s again)
> it should be noted that the cpu fan does turn off momentarily for both
> of these events, and the mp3 that is playing stops, then starts up again
> where it left off.
> Even without playing anything through the sound device, it does the same
> thing.

I have more questions and requests :)

When did this problem appear?  Have you put your PC in suspend/standby
state successfully before?

Did you try it on other OS? (Win, Linux, etc.)

How about executing zzz on console (non X)?

Is cli-hack helpful in your case?
  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=56429+60225+/usr/local/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-current/19990815.freebsd-current+raw

Could you try following script and send me the output?
----
#!/bin/sh
iostat -c 3
echo SUSPENDING
zzz
echo RESUMING
iostat -c 3
---

> If i leave the thing on with no activity, while running apmd, it goes
> into suspend or standby (depending on the timers set in the bios) every
> now and again, but jumps back out as soon as it does.
> Also, all the PM timer interrupts are disabled.
>
> Motherboard is an Abit BH-6

I'm not familiar with Abit BH-6... Could you tell me current
configuration of PM related BIOS setting (and BIOS version if you
know)?

Sorry for too many questions and my poor english :)