Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:36:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let's get back on track.

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

>Scott Mitchell wrote:
>
>> > The credibility of any certification programme won't be enhanced if we go
>> > slapping logos all over products that require an inordinate amount of
>> > effort to install.  If there's a port to automate it all, then great,
>> > otherwise you may be in for a nasty surprise when you get the box home.

>Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> Agreed.  Comments, you others?

I almmost posted this myself but refrained after I saw you opinion. I
agree.

>Yeah, let's see if we can get this discussion back on track.  I've thought
>about this a lot overnight (instead of staying up all night scribing email
>messages ;^) and have decided that branding something that can't be
>installed by an ordinary, non-programmer "superuser" is not appropriate.

Again, I agree.

>You could've knocked me over with a feather!  I *NEVER* intended for
>vendors to write FreeBSD port kits; I had always imagined this to be the
>logical finishing point of the FreeBSD volunteers who test and install
>the application in the first place.

This is, in fact, what we currently do and I don't think we should change
it one bit.

>So, let me re-propose the following two categories.  I'll use my original
>names; we can fight about that later on.

I have spawned a new thread to this effect.

>Works with FreeBSD: An application that was not written for FreeBSD, but
>                    can be made to run on FreeBSD *reliably.*  A FreeBSD
>                    port kit has been developed and posted on the FTP
>                    server that will install the application from a
>                    download or from vendor-supplied media.

I can add nothing to this at all. I like it.

>Again, the classical example of this is the Linux version of Adobe Acrobat
>Reader.  Since the port kit already exists, this logo could be awarded to
>Acrobat immediately.

Yes let's. Where are our artists?

>Designed for FreeBSD: An application with FreeBSD binaries and a FreeBSD
>                      installation program, from the vendor.  A FreeBSD
>                      port kit (created by FreeBSD volunteers) that auto-
>                      mates the install process in a "standard" installation
>                      MAY be available to simplify installation.

I can add nothing to this either. It is short, sweet, and to the point.

>The classical example for this category is Communicator.  Netscape provides
>FreeBSD executables and an install program for FreeBSD; a port kit is
>available that will automate the installation.

>The reason for two levels of "logoization" is to provide extra recognition
>for those vendors who have gone the extra mile and made their applications
>specifically for FreeBSD.  This applies to Netscape, soon to be for Applix-
>ware, and for a number of other really cool companies.

Having read every last post on these threads, I think this will be a go.
In fact, I am saving this post for inclusion in any subsequent HTMLization
for branding.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/