Date:      Tue, 22 Apr 1997 11:05:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        abbott at MPCA <jabbott@wolf.co.net>
Cc:        Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>, Artem Koutchine <matrix@norilsk.ru>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure HTTP

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, abbott at MPCA wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> >
> > Apache doesnt have secure server services - stronghold does.
>
> No, that is not true.  Apache, with the addition of SSLeay provides
> everything that Stronghold does.  What you paid for with Stronghold is
> everything all put togeather in one package plus a telephone number to
> call and complain when it does not work.  Both valuable things.  I
> popped for stronghold too.  I was never able to get SSLeay to work
> right.

There are some Apache-SSL patches that allow Apache to work with SSLeay.
However, to work with common clients you need to use a cipher (RC2/RC4)
which RSA claims patents on in the US.  This means that to use it
commercially within the US you need to have a license from RSA.

With Stronghold, the vendor has put the Apache-SSL patches in and have
obtained the required licensing to use it in the US.  On top of this,
they have done a bunch of other things that the freely available patches
do not include..

Something of a summary is available at:

	http://www.apacheweek.com/features/ssl/