Date:      Thu, 9 Jun 2011 15:46:23 +0000
From:      Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with german umlauts and gtk apps (maybe unicode issue)

On Thu Jun  9 11, Polytropon wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 19:57:05 +0000, Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > otaku% ls|grep html|hd
> > 00000000  c3 84 c3 96 c3 9c c3 a4  c3 b6 c3 bc c3 9f 2e 68  |Ã.Ã.Ã.äöüÃ..h|
> > 00000010  74 6d 6c 0a                                       |tml.|
> > 00000014
> > [...]
> > is gtk maybe switching to unicode when saving non-asciichars, instead to
> > ISO8859-15?
>
> Yes, it looks that way.
>
> You _could_ try to use the traditional ("non-european") settings:
>
> setenv  LC_ALL          en_US.ISO8859-1
> setenv  LC_MESSAGES     en_US.ISO8859-1
> setenv  LC_COLLATE      de_DE.ISO8859-1
> setenv  LC_CTYPE        de_DE.ISO8859-1
> setenv  LC_MONETARY     de_DE.ISO8859-1
> setenv  LC_NUMERIC      de_DE.ISO8859-1
> setenv  LC_TIME         de_DE.ISO8859-1
>
> (I set them per /ect/csh.cshrc systemwide, and don't set $LANG).
> The downside is that there is no Euro symbol with this setting,
> but nobody needs that. :-)
>

> > however when it accesses a filename it can understand unicode as
> > well as ISO8859-15?
>
> I would assume that as ISO-Umlauts and UTF-Umlauts have
> different byte representation, (iso)öäü.html and (utf)öäü.html
> would be different file names, so files with "the same"
> file name would be possible.
>

> > can i instruct gtk to always use ISO8859-15 when saving filenames?
>
> As I'm not a Gnome user, I can't be specific on that
> question. Maybe there is a setting available through
> the gconf tool?
>
> A workaround, of course NOT a solution, is to NOT use
> non-standard characters in file names. I have trained
> my kids... erm users. Users! :-) to exactly do that, so
> there won't be problems in file name representation.
> And only lowercase. And no spaces. If you use, for
> example, das_uebel_vom_fasz.html instead of "Das Übel
> vom Faß.html", you don't need to care for character
> representation (as everything will always be ASCII).

i think the problem is gtk. when i set LC_ALL=ISO8859-15, gimp complaints
about it:

(gimp:56139): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
	Using the fallback 'C' locale.

when i set it to lets say LC_ALL=de_DE.ISO8859-15 or LC_ALL=de_DE.ISO8859-1, it
doesn't complain. so it recognises that locale. however for some reason it
switches to UTF-8 when using chars like ö or ä, although they are perfectly
valid chars for the locale i defined.

this seems like a gtk bug imho.

cheers.
alex