Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 00:17:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jan Koum  <jkb@best.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD GUI, revisited (was Re: FreeBSD slogan/advert ideas)

	Hello all..

	Well lets see here. We are comparing cars to operating systems.
Ok, then lets say if I know theory of internal combustion engine I can
build my own engine. Put it in my own custom car and make it go very very
fast. Ohh wait, that is what they do at car races. I guess knowing how
your car/engine/etc works does help you to make your car go faster.
Because if you didn't, you wouldn't know where to begin to modify it. I
guess that 1600cc Toyota is like Win95, while I would compare FreeBSD to a
911 twin turbo Porsche which is ready for the track race the day you drive
it off the show room floor.
	I have never said you should not drive a car if you don't know how
car works. What I said (following your analogy) is that you should know
rules of the road in order to have a good driving experience.
	Why do you think there are driving tests? Do you think you can
pass one if you don't know how to shift gears or how to parallel park? No.
And same with OSes. If you don't know how to turn on and use a computer --
you should not.

-- Yan