Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:40:13 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Valence Logrus" <valence@symboliq.org>, "Haikal Saadh" <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "'Trish Lynch'" <trish@bsdunix.net>, "'Chris Coleman'" <chrisc@vmunix.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hotmail _still_ runs FreeBSD!

Valence writes:

> This may be way off in my short years, I am by
> no means a Donald Knuth type person, but I really
> doubt Exchange could be tweaked enough to handle
> Hotmail, if that was the case don't you suspect
> Monkeysoft would have already done that?

I agree, and I'm confident that this is why it _hasn't_ been done.

Microsoft Exchange Server is a behemoth of a mail system, extremely well
suited to homogenous, feature-rich, intraorganizational mail systems, but
ill-suited to heterogenous, Internet-accessible, simple mail systems.  It
can't be both at the same time.  Additionally, a weakness of Exchange is its
dependency on a single monolithic database accessed via a DBMS with
virtually no notions of commitment units, checkpoints, rollback, etc., and
this weakness becomes more and more of an obstacle as the system is scaled
up, as it takes a lot longer and causes a lot more trouble to restore a 60
GB database than it does to restore a 600 MB database.

> ... it's got to just burn Monkeysoft up that they
> have n other choice but to run Hotmail on Sun equipment.

Most people at Microsoft don't have such a strong emotional attachment to
their own products.  I know it doesn't make the developers of Exchange
happy, but the company as a whole is probably considerably more reasonable
about it.  You use the tool that does the job, after all.  Hotmail really
isn't seen as "real Microsoft" by much of the rest of the company,
anyway--it's just part of MSN, one of Microsoft's investments.

> As flaky as that might sound, there is quite a
> rivalry between the two ...

I've never noticed any rivalry.  Sun probably thinks that such a rivalry
exists, but Microsoft is much less likely to care.  MS makes most of its
money from desktop operating systems and sales of Microsoft Office, and Sun
is not a presence in either domain.

> ... and for pride's sake I'd say Bill really hates
> the fact their own crappy software can't take the
> load, that they must bow down in secret to Sun.

As you've pointed out, part of it is a hardware limitation.

Bill isn't a thirteen-year-old geek with more testosterone than brains, so I
doubt that he is as emotional and irrational as you imply.  If he were, he
never would have reached the position he is in today, as people who think
and act like children tend to be poor businessmen.