Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:23:04 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI interrupt allocation question..

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 04:14:10PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> xmbmon uses the SMBus to read the temperatures but it does it from
> userland using direct read and write operations

Oh, I didn't know that. Like I said the box is gone so I can't really verify
what I did anymore :(

> and when there are timing glitches caused by the process not getting
> scheduled quite quick enough you get garbage results..
> teh theory is that the kernel driver wouldn't be susceptible to this
> but it looks like unless I resort to polling I will not be able to use
> it because it relies on the interrupts and they are not being delivered.

:(

> ASUS motherboards actually turn off the SMBus. (why?)
> So you need to turn it back on before you can read the temperatures..
> I have a little script that uses pciconf to do it..

The machine I tested this on was a Dell GX115 I think, but even when that
bit was enabled using pciconf there was no SMBus device/reading possible...

Anyway, it seems to be some other problem so I'm off again :)

--Stijn

--=20
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure."

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG--