Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 17:26:16 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding "noschg" to ssh and friends

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 05:59:56PM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
>=20
> >> marked, and it just seems to follow to me that ssh related binaries
> >> should as well.
>=20
> KK> No; schg isn't a security feature, at best it's an anti-foot-shooting
> KK> feature to prevent accidental trashing of the file.
>=20
> I disagree.  If my machine is at securelevel > 0, schg is a damned
> fine security mesasure to protect sensitive programs from being
> trojaned.  There's just no way around it short of having access to the
> console.

Yes, there are lots of ways of removing schg flags (all involving a
reboot) unless you basically chflags -R schg /

Please consult the -security archives for a number of discussions of
this issue; it's come up several times.

It's not a totally useless security measure because I'm sure there are
some people who would be fooled by it, but it doesn't take that much
thought to get around unless you lock down your machine so tight as to
basically be un-maintainable.

Kris

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR

--T4sUOijqQbZv57TR--