Date:      Fri, 12 Apr 2002 00:08:57 +1000 (Australia/ACT)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
To:        bts@babbleon.org (Brian T.Schellenberger)
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: who's been smoking crack in freebsd land now ?

In some mail from Brian T.Schellenberger, sie said:

> Geez, calm down.  You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
>
> Also, isn't the warning pretty self-explanatory?

No, it isn't.

> "man ioctl" shows that sys/ioctl.h is expected to be used in userland.

Yes.

Last I checked, <sys/*.h> is also expected to be used by the kernel.

Nearly all of <sys/*.h> is expected to be included in userland programs
as well as the kernel.  Or is FreeBSD going to have a completely different
/usr/include/sys for user programs and the kernel just in case there is
anybody out there that cares about portability that FreeBSD hasn't fucked
over yet ?

> And, unlike userland, it's not like the kernel has any obligation to be the
> same across Unices, so I'm wondering on what you base the supposition that
> God decreed the One True And Correct Way for this to work?

No, you just piss people off when they have to deal with rather arbitrary
fucking changes.  It's not like the first time I've had to deal with crap
like this in FreeBSD so I may as well get used to it, I guess.

In case you have trouble working that out:
it works everywhere else and used to work on FreeBSD, without any warnings
until someone changed it.  Well, maybe except Linux, but then Linux distros
suffer badly from brain damaged include files because there's no coherancy
between the kernel includes and user includes.  I'm sure that's not the
desired result for FreeBSD....or is it ?

You should be able to compile a LKM without any compile errors, shouldn't
you ?  You know, an LKM that gets compiled without config'ing a kernel ?
Heck, you shouldn't even need kernel source installed to compile & use an
LKM.  I mean isn't that the point of LKM's or has that been forgotten too ?

Darren