Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2005 11:29:24 -0600
From:      Stephane Raimbault <stephane@enertiasoft.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.4: Can't start ssh due to entropy source blocking?

I installed a fresh 5.4-RELEASE/amd64 system on a Dell PE1850 and
when attempting to setup sshd for the server I'm getting a weird error:

# /etc/rc.d/sshd start
/etc/rc.d/sshd: WARNING: Setting entropy source to blocking mode.
Type a full screenful of random junk to unblock
it and remember to finish with <enter>. This will
timeout in 300 seconds, but waiting for
the timeout without typing junk may make the
entropy source deliver predictable output.

Just hit <enter> for fast+insecure startup.
kern.random.sys.seeded: 0 -> 0

PRNG is not seeded
PRNG is not seeded
PRNG is not seeded
#

I tried rebooting the system and letting it start a startup, but the
same thing occurred.  I've setup a few 5.4 systems and this is the
first time I ran into this particular problem.  Doing some googling
I'm guessing that the /dev/random isn't seeded properly?  I'm a bit
confused about that, but that's all I have found thus far.  Any
suggestions as to what I need to be doing to resolve my problem would
be most helpful.  Has anyone else ran into this problem on a 5.4-
RELEASE system.

Thank you,
Stephane.