Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 02:34:18 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Java development platform comparison (was: RE: Microsoft Advocacy?)

	I think this is part of Sun's trying to hang onto IBM's coat tails with the
whole Linux push.  They want their brand (Java) right up there beside
something from IBM (Linux).

> I'm sure if Microsoft were to be put out of business, the next
> day Sun Microsystems would easily rise into their position.  I see no more
> reason to move to Sun's Java than to Microsoft's C#.  At least there are
> rumors of Microsoft hiring FreeBSD developers to produce a C# engine for
> FreeBSD.

	One would wonder if Microsoft has contacted any of the core team about
this... *shakes his heaD*

> When I see a JDK 1.4.x native and supported by Sun
> under FreeBSD,
> then maybe I'll care about their language.

	Maybe I should talk to some folks... I've got a few contacts inside of Sun
that might be able to give me an answer why there isn't one already (I'd
thought that there was...)

> I took the class in
> college, it
> was good, easy units.  However, it just reminds me a little too
> much of MFC
> <gag>.  I don't want OOP to be the beast that swallows the world.  It has
> it's place, and the concepts are immortal, but sometimes you take a good
> concept and push it a little too far.

	I hear that...

> > (Linux and Solaris, exclude
> > Microsoft from this discussion)?  (And yes, I'm fully aware
> that Microsoft
> > no longer produces a Java product as they had their ass sued off by Sun
> and
> > had to sell their botched J++ product to Rational Software).
>
> Sun makes a perfectly good VM and JDK for Windows :)  I run it on
> my Windows
> XP boxes which don't include the Microsoft VM by default.

	I won't even go into my tirade against XP... (I'll offer the notes from my
speech if anyone's interested).  Although, I do realize that since it's the
latest "business oriented" operating system that developing for it is
required (a necessary evil, if you ask me...)

> > Why is Linux a better platform for Java development than FreeBSD?
>
> Have you tried developing Java under FreeBSD ?

	Can't say that I have... up to this point I've mainly been a BASIC/Fortran
guy with some background in Pascal, C and a few Siemens hardware specific
languages.

> I have.  Kudos to those who
> are involved in the porting process, but only the Linux JDK with emulation
> worked for my needs, and it too had problems.  Even if you read
> the Java for
> FreeBSD page, you can see that they're not entirely confident and not
> promising anything but their best effort.  I was eventually forced to move
> my Java programming to Sun's Win32 JDK.  You don't need J++ or any other
> Java IDE, Sun's JDK works excellently on the platforms they support.  Why
> the hell they can't port the JDK to FreeBSD, when the whole idea
> is supposed
> to be Multi-Platform, I do not know.

	Maybe I can find out something with regards to that question...

--- Andy