Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 22:31:50 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt@ezwv.com>
To:        "Mr. Feed" <mrfeed@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with 4.4-install.iso cd image

On Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:17:22 -0700, you wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i download 4.4-install.iso from ftp.freebsd.org and write it to a CDR
> (650MB). the MD5 checksum has been verified. using sysinstall i was able to
> successfully installed 4.4 bsd on my computer without any problem. However,
> while I try to install packages located on this CD, most of them are fine,
> but for gnome* packages, sysinstall hung (using 99% of CPU but without
> anything done). Did anyone else complain about this?

I've seen the same thing with the gnome meta-package and thought it was a
fluke.  I didn't have the time to do further testing at the time.

I too saw sysinstall consuming almost all of the CPU.  I would wait several
minutes, the CPU usage would drop and it would continue with the next package.

However, in the end, it didn't complete installing all the packages (said it
couldn't find one) and I had to finish it by manually mounting the cdrom and
using pkg_add.  The "missing" package was on the cdrom.

I captured this excerpt from top during this "wait" period:

CPU states: 85.6% user,  0.0% nice, 14.4% system,  0.0% interrupt,  0.0% idle
Mem: 44M Active, 163M Inact, 25M Wired, 13M Cache, 35M Buf, 3624K Free
Swap: 516M Total, 516M Free

  PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
 4890 root      56   0  3128K  1696K RUN     15:04 99.02% 99.02% sysinstall

I also checked the iso image and cdrom and the md5 checksum was okay.

If anyone has some ideas on how to capture some meaningful information, I
would be willing to do some further testing.  I have a spare hard drive that
could easily be used.

This could be a red-herring but I think I saw a "biosrd" process start as
the CPU usage dropped and the next package started to install.  With the
sampling period in top, this could be irrelevant.

Also, I didn't see this on RC2 (maybe RC3) iso.  I don't have those around
anymore so I can't repeat that.

Ideas anyone?

Randy