Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 18:40:27 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Rick Lotoczky <rickl@ic.net>
Cc:        smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Show of Hands

Hi,

---
> On another note, during a "make world" I started to get an error message that
> a vnode that was to be allocated couldn't be.  I'm not sure if this is a SMP
> issue or not.

VM, but more noticable in SMP.

---
> Lastly, my MB does is not MP-1.4 capable, only -1.1.  No BIOS upgrade exists
> (at least one that I've been able to find).  I am back to the UP kernel now
> because the SMP kernel crashes so often that I can't get mail out.  I will
> send the mptable -dmesg output to you once I rebuild and reboot the SMP kernel.

if they don't have a 1.4 option, the 1.1 is probably 1.1 + appendix D.,
otherwise it wouldn't even boot.  but when 1.1 and 1.4 are options, the 1.1
is usually 1.1 pre appendix D. which can't deal with PCI busses properly.

---
there have been a combination of problems, some SMP, some VM, the past few
weeks.  The VM problems seem to be more evident on the SMP side, probably
timing issues.

things are stabilizing, hopefully you will get back to usability soon.
--
Steve Passe	| powered by