Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:04:51 -0500
From:      "Charlie Schloemer" <charlie@infoworks.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Salmons, Michael" <SalmonsM@missouri.edu>
Subject:   Re: root is filling up!

On 12 Oct 00, at 15:54, Salmons, Michael wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips for keeping root pared down? Being the dangerous
> person I am I work in root most of the time (I am doing a lot of tweaking to
> get BSD to work with out NT/2k network so I basically eat drink and sleep in
> root nowadays) so I have a background image or two for WindowMaker, etc and
> it's filling up fast. Can I adjust the size? What sort of files are ok to
> trim? (Other than logfiles that is).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael Salmons

Okay, but you might not like this tip.  root's home directory is not
on /usr, but on /, which is normally big enough.  However, if you're
running a bunch of X things which like to write their dotfiles to /root,
you could easily approach capacity.  The solution is don't X as
root.  If you need root, use 'su -' from an xterm or whatever.  That
way, you can still have your GUI stuff, but the overhead (dotfiles,
etc.) is stored on /usr in the user's home directory you logged in
as, not on / like when you login as root.  After you transition this
stuff to a user account, of course, delete anything you can in /root.
root needs little more than shell .rc files in his home directory.

I've run into some strangenesses that may or may not apply to
you... sometimes when I install FreeBSD, /home is a directory in /,
rather than a symlink to /usr/home.  Check to see if this applies to
you; I have no idea how it happens.

Good luck,
-Charlie