Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 16:08:41 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Daniel Leal" <dleal@webvolution.net>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: encryption and master.passwd

I've noticed this, too.  Some accounts have a DES password, others have an
MD5 password.

I just changed the password on one of my user accounts with the passwd
command, and it changed from a DES password to a MD5 password.

My impression is that different programs use different encryption methods
for the password, with some using DES, and others use MD5.  True?