Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 10:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/6102: panic: biodone: buffer not busy

The following reply was made to PR kern/6102; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, dima@best.net
Cc:  Subject: Re: kern/6102: panic: biodone: buffer not busy
Date: Tue, 05 May 1998 22:39:47 -0700

 The CVS log for vfs_bio.c states,

 1.67 Thu Oct 19 23:48:25 1995 UTC by dyson
 Diffs to 1.66

 If we clear the B_CACHE flag because a buffer isn't composed fully of
 valid bytes, we must also clear the B_DONE flag.  Some filesystems
 depend on this (incl NFS) and is probably the cause of the biodone
 error and subsequent crash.  Anyway this change needs to be made.

 The question I have is, why must the B_DONE flag be cleared when the
 B_CACHE flag is cleared?

 I've had this problem since 2.2.5.  Since 2.2.6, the problem appears to
 have gotten worse, e.g. two panics in the last 5 minutes.  In both cases
 a "find . | cpio -pdm /vol/archives" to copy data to a SCSI Zip disk was
 running at the time of panic.

 Cy Schubert