Date:      Sun, 7 Jan 2001 09:07:42 -0500
From:      "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   chroot - installs and user segregation

have looked at the documentation, this is more general questions along
these lines.

Assume the following:
copy package or tar file into /test directory and set ownership to
user1
chroot a user1 shell to /test
do a make install on the package...

we would have to hardlink bin directories and copy conf files into the
/temp to allow functionality of the chrooted environment

QUESTION 1: Any starter suggestions on what directories we would need
access to and either hardlink or provide copies of?  The goal being to
run the package without modifying the underlying root system. initial
thoughts are /bin, /dev, /etc/skel, /usr

Next... I am sure I have seen an example of this but have been unable
to track it down.

QUESTION 2a: What is the entry to be made if, on user
login/authentication, we wish to chroot them to a directory
immediately upon login to segregate them from the rest of the system.

QUESTION 2b: How secure is this as a trap location assuming the user
group is unprivileged.

There was some discussion of this in the honey pot thread, have not
been able to locate a compilation or digest of the posts regarding
that.

Appreciate the snippets, urls, RTFM's and responses.

Dave