Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 12:38:22 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        j_mini@efn.org (Jonathan Mini)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, emulation@freebsd.org, prb@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: New DOScmd snapshot available

Jonathan Mini stands accused of saying:

> > If you're a DOS expert with some time and experience to spare, a
> > critical eye over the memory and exec routines would be very helpful.
> > I do not profess to understand these, and I suspect that there may be
> > some lurking problems.
>
> Well, that's what *I'm* here for....

And grateful I am about it 8)  So where are your rude comments? 8) 8) 8)

> Ummmm... Guys? Running MSD and/or Norton SysInfo will probably be
> impossible for the end of all time.. the reason behind this is that Norton
> SysInfo messes with a few hardware interrupts and/or ports that change
> system timings so that it can get accurate benchmarks. (In fact, in the
> case of Norton Sysinfo, I beleive it sets the PIC timers to what FreeBSD
> uses for it's profiler, although I couldn't swear on it.)

We don't let DOS programs touch the hardware.  The aim is to emulate it
well enough that these programs will run, even if they produce bogus
results.  The fact that they fail completely at the moment is clear
evidence that we're not doing well enough yet.