Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:21:02 -0700
From:      Chris Faehl <cfaehl@cs.unm.edu>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Division between /usr/local and everything else

Hi,
	I hope this isn't a FAQ that I'm missing somewhere - but it
would be very useful if *all* ports could be built into the /usr/local
hierarchy. Some packages (like exim) build into their own directory
(/usr/exim).
	I would like to see some way of building EITHER in the default
location OR into the /usr/local hierarchy. The way it is now makes it
very difficult to build a 'shared' /usr/local tree that many machines
can use (don't get me wrong - a lot of the stuff goes in /usr/local,
but enough doesn't that it makes for a bit of difficulty.
	I'm envisioning a few mechanisms for this - one could be an
environment variable (TOPDIR, maybe?) settable by the user, another
could be a switch thrown to make, another could be a separate target
for the install, something like 'install-local').
Thoughts?
Chris Faehl			      | Email: cfaehl@cs.unm.edu
The University of New Mexico          | URL:   http://www.cs.unm.edu/~cfaehl
Computer Science Dept., Rm. FEC 313   | Phone: 505/277-3526
Albuquerque, NM  87131  USA           | FAX:   505/277-6927