Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 09:13:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Geoff Rehmet" <geoffr@is.co.za>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

Sean Eric Fagan writes :
> There's really no other way to do it:  you need the ability to grab packets
> that come from an unidentified machine, which doesn't have an IP address.  You
> could write some other method of doing this -- and then put it into every
> single ethernet (et al) device driver -- or you could just use BPF, which
> really isn't all that large.
Bootpd doesn't require bpf in order to work.  Incoming requests
all have the IP number 0.0.0.0.
The issue, as I understand it, is to get a reply from an unknown server
(who has an IP address), while you have no IP address.  I would still
be very reticent to see BPF in a generic kernel because of the security
implications.
Remember that the DHCP client is listening for a datagram which has its
own layer 2 address as the destination address. - No need for promiscuous
mode.  The only problem is that the client doesn't know its own IP number.

I would really not like DHCP to require FreeBSD being shipped with
bpf enabled.

Geoff.

--
Geoff Rehmet,