Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 01:57:06 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, toor@dyson.iquest.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 1998 at 02:07:55PM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> > Next, is can you come up with a simple benchmark to test the floating
> > point optimization for Pentium classes or higher?
>
> Not easily, no.  Robert Nordier had som FP code he was compiling with
> it.  I have no floating point intensive code, and I run on an atypical
> platform (the Pentium Pro, which has a quite different profile than
> the Pentium. The P-II is supposedly like the Pentium).
>
> >From looking at the optimizations passes I can say that it should be
> at least as fast as gcc for 386, 486, and Pentium Pros, faster for
> Pentiums, and I don't know for P-IIs - I have never really
> experimented to find the performance profile for the P-IIs.

Just as an experiment, I compiled an old grep utility using both GCC
and TenDRA.  The results were really disappointing. :-(

The TenDRA-compiled utility runs around twice as slowly:

    gcc        5.74 real         5.69 user         0.04 sys
    tcc       10.64 real        10.48 user         0.07 sys

The files are at http://www.icon.co.za/~nordier/re.tar.gz

--
Robert Nordier