Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:18:35 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>, bright@mu.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWK/perl hacker needed to assist the Sparc64 port

David O'Brien wrote:
> IS IT IN THE LEAST BIT POSSIBLE TO STAY ON TOPIC ON FREEBSD LISTS
> ANYMORE???  And we wonder why so many do not bother with them any more.
>
> THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT REPLACING OUR /bin/sh.  IT IS ABOUT GETTING
> SOMETHING WITH THE FUNCITONALITY OF vnode_if.pl THAT ONLY REQUIRES ONE OR
> ALL OF: gcc, EXISTING /bin/sh, sed, awk.
>
> THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION.

It wasn't clear from your reference to vnode_if.pl that your
topic was really the removal of perl from the bootstrap
process.

FWIW: I think you can take the same approach as that taken
by makesyscalls.sh, which is to pre-generate the files, even
though they should probably be regenerated each time.

In other words, run it on an i386 box, and check it into the
SPARC build process for now as part of the config/make process.

This should let you bootstrap as well as we already do for
system calls, at least until you get APRC64 to the point where
it's capable of acting as a platform for perl.

-- Terry