Date:      Mon, 9 Jan 2006 17:11:32 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        zimmermanjj@alltel.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: "Support for 80386 processors (the I386_CPU kernel configuration option)"

On 2006-01-09 09:58, zimmermanjj@alltel.net wrote:
> Hello.  I quoted the subject of the email directly from the kernel
> changes section of the FreeBSD/i386-RELEASE release notes.  I am not
> sure if I am reading this correctly, but does this mean that people
> who have Intel-based processors (such as P4 and Celeron) should not
> use 6.0 and only use 5.4?

Of course, not!

It means that 486 and latter processors are supported.

> I want to intsall FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE on a Celeron and a P4, and to
> the best of my knowledge they are i386 processors (80386).

You are referring to a "processor family".  The release notes refer to a
particular CPU/processor type.

I'm running 7.0-CURRENT on a Celeron system at home.  You shouldn't have
problems running any version on your CPU, from 4.X, to 5.4 or 5-STABLE,
or evel 6.X.