Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 01:38:49 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014449929.13fb95@mired.org>
To:        dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Advice sought re MS Office compatibility

D. Michael McFarland <dmmcf@uiuc.edu> types:
> So what's my question?  Given that I'm willing to put a little money
> and more than a little effort into getting it going, what have people
> found is the most MS-compatible, robust application of this sort?

I'd say StarOffice. I use Applixware as an Office suite myself, but it
doesn't rate very high on the MS-compatible scale, and it's not clear
that the FreeBSD version has a future.

> I have used StarOffice a little under both Linux and FreeBSD, but
> recent versions (as of a few months ago) don't play well with
> XFree86 v. 4 on my laptop (an IBM T-22 running STABLE).

If the only reason you're running it is to read documents from people
who are to lazy to convert them to a non-proprietary format, just go
back to running the older versions of StarOffice until you get a
document that it doesn't understand because one of them upgraded and
forgot to save it in the old version so that everyone else has to
ugprade to read it.

Of course, the best thing to do if you're collaborating on a document
is to load it into *your* favorite application for dealing with
documents of that type, do your work, and send it back to them in that
applications format. A truly fitting sabotage.

	<mike