Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:42:17 -0400
From:      Sten Daniel Soersdal <netslists@gmail.com>
To:        Artem Naluzhny <tut@nhamon.com.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reason of "dropped due to full socket buffers" UDP

Artem Naluzhny wrote:
> hi
>
> I have 6.1-RELEASE with default sysctl vars. Continuous 'netstat -sp
> udp' with 100 ms. interval shows dropped UDP due to full socket
> buffers sometimes. The script also monitors 'netstat -anp udp' and
> there are no connections with non-zero Recv-Q value by the end of the
> interval with drops.
>
> The server is used as SIP server (ser) with RTP proxy (rtpproxy). Avg
> pps (Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet, bge): 630 in, 460 out.
>
> Any ideas how to find out a reason? (no kernel changes allowed, the
> server is in production)

Perhaps it would be helpful to do non-promiscous packet capture on the
ethernet interface over a longer period of time. Perhaps you find
something unexpected? That might the least intrusive and most effective
without giving you down time.

It wouldn't surprise me if broadcom drivers have been improved in -STABLE.

--
Sten Daniel Soersdal