Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:07:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        tcg@ime.net (Gary Chrysler)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, bill@twwells.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this is dumb

Gary Chrysler wrote:

> Yup, This happened to me when my ISP went down over a weekend.
> Suposedly that will never happen again.. (Yea right)
>
> Anyways, It'd be cool if he (our honorable Postmaster) could
> get the script to wait for a period(s) of time and check again and
> if the address becomes valid ... ....
> Maye it does and I just was over the max limit.. :(

i am catching up on past mail, sorry for the delay ;(

we are sending out 150K+ email messages a  day.
i get 500-1000-2000 bounces a day ;(
most are single bounces from sites that are "working okay, really"
if one sites starts to bounce a significat portion of their mail
then i unsubscribe them.

one of two cases applies:

	they have an MX host and have been off-the-net long enoug for
	the MX host to begin bouncing mail (generally 5 days)
or

	they have no MX host, for some reason or other.
	every site should have an MX host, or two, or three ;)

	unless they are *never* down.

jmb
--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG