Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 15:24:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling under Linux emulation

On Mon, 1 May 2000, Glenn Johnson wrote:

>  On Mon, May 01, 2000 at 10:00:11AM -0500, Gene Harris wrote:
>
>  > I am attempting to compile xfstt under Linux emualtion for testing
>  > purposes.  Can someone point me in the right direction for setting the
>  > path and environment variables?  I am trying to produce a pure Linux
>  > executable to run in compatibility mode.
>
>  Assuming you have the linux_base and linux_devtools ports installed,
>  from your login prompt type: '/compat/linux/bin/bash'. This will switch
>  you to a Linux shell and subsequent calls to binaries will actually
>  run from /compat/linux/. Although I believe that if some binary is not
>  present under /compat/linux then it will call the FreeBSD utility which
>  may not work.

Thanks Glen,

I have been able to successfully compile small programs where I have
explicitly specified paths for linking, etc.  My problem has been using
Linux's gmake to compile larger projects.  Between what you just specified and
a little sleuthing on Linux environment variables, I've been able to jury rig
a login that sets up everything to point to /compat/linux...

Thanks again, as you gave me the 'missing link'.

Gene

>  Hope that helps.
>
>  --
>  Glenn Johnson
>  USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252
>  New Orleans, LA 70124		e-mail: gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov

         Tetron Software, LLC
    http://www.tetronsoftware.com
FreeBSD  Apache  PostgreSQL  Oracle 8/8i
Windows 95/98/NT  Visual C  Visual Basic