Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 1998 07:44:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@inter-linc.net>
To:        brian@worldcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: rxvt: can't load color "darkslateblue" ; aborting

On 09-Feb-98 brian@worldcontrol.com wrote:
>I'm running -current.  After working on my laptop for some time, I
>find that I can't create any more rxvt windows.
>
>Specifically I get:
>
>brian@top>rxvt
>rxvt: can't load color "darkslateblue"
>rxvt: can't load color "White"
>rxvt: aborting
>
>I found in /var/log/messages that apparently some other process has
>had similar complaints:
>
>Warning: Color name "black" is not defined
>Warning: Color name "Black" is not defined
>
>If I reboot the systems, the problem is gone, and then comes back later.
>
>What is happening?

Nothing is wrong, really.  If you are using an 8-bit color depth (256 colors)
not all applications can get the colors they want, and must share amongst what
is available.  Use a 16-bit or 24-bit color depth and those messages will
disappear (not to mention everything will just generally look better).

--- Chris Dillon
--- cdillon@inter-linc.net