Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 10:36:20 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about kernel problem

Hi folks,

yesterday something that happened to me made me curious, and that's why I
want to ask about it here. The story is as follows:

Yesterday I CVSupped the latest -Stable source, made world, and installed
a new kernel. That new kernel seemed to have a few problems, though as it
crashed over and over, before running even ten minutes. The first thing I
did was re-compile the kernel from exactly the same sources, and, well,
this newer kernel has now been running rock solid ever since yesterday.

Since both kernels were compiled from the same sources and config file, I
started to have a look why I had problems with my first kernel. I didn't
find out anything, except for the following: Both kernels, the one with
the problems and the new one that works fine, have exactly the same size.
However, diff tells me that they differ. So, the question I do now have is
this:

Will *two* kernels, compiled on the same machine, from the same sources
and with the same config file, actually be different when comparing them
with diff, or are they supposed to be *exactly* the same?

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org