Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:13:08 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: old man pages

"Andrew R. Reiter" <arr@watson.org> writes:
> Something I don't know, but might assist in me writing a tool for this
> would be to know if there is an output file that says what files were
> installed during an installworld?  If there is one, I sould say it would

There isn't one per se, but I guess it'd be rather simple to derive
something like this from the output of `make installworld`.

> be easy to write a shellscript quickly for doing post-installworld
> deleting of unknown/old files from selected directories...

Then you may end up removing too much.  Like it or not, there are many
files in /usr (e.g., /usr/bin, etc.), below /usr/local, that are not
vendor-distributed.  People put all kinds of stuff there.  It's not
safe to just go through and delete anything that wasn't installed by
installworld.

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org