Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:21:40 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/14460: Fix broken links in the FAQ

On Sat, Oct 23, 1999 at 07:28:29PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
> >  Actually, if you check the web side at www.FreeBSD.org, this one isn't
> >  broken.  The tutorials are still installed in tutorials/ for now, and
> >  the html-split version includes an index.html, so these old links work
> >  fine.  This goes for the second hunk as well.
>
> Uh, you've lost me a little here. The docs tree at www.freebsd.org
> is different to that installed locally (using ``make all && make
> install)?

Yes.  At least, it is for the web tree.  The docs are built if you do
the appropriate "make" inside the www/en/ tree.  I had a choice of either
chaning all the URLs over to the new structure, or preserving the old URLs,
and putting up with the inconsistency.

I chickened out, and decided that it wasn't worth breaking everyone's
bookmarks for.  At some point in the future we'll probably switch to
installing things in to the 'right' place, and using symlinks.  After doing
that for a while we'll start putting in messages that pop up if the 'old'
URL is used.  And after doing that for a few months (and monitoring the
error logs to see how often these pages are requested) we'll cut over to a
new scheme completely.

This'll probably start happening some time next February, when I get a bit
more spare time.