Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 14:34:58 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jack@xtalwind.net (jack)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> > Unless you are talking about NT 3.51, you're wrong: it does not need
> > a reboot, just an undocumented call into an undocumented DLL.  Microsoft
>
> Now isn't that handy?  If you've got the time and inclination to reverse
> engineer the damned thing you can make it do what you want, if not just
> settle for what it gives you.

Or you can just use their tools and their stacks and their software
like you are supposed to do.  The problem only occurs when you go
and buy third party software from a third party who has not paid
the piper, either through sweat or through licensing fees to MS.

> > just likes to ask for reboots because their change flag doesn't have
> > the necessary granularity to distinguish between "changes needing a
> > reboot" and "simple changes" -- all they see are "changes".
>
> Now that makes it a real good choice to use as a critical server.  :)

It always errs on the side of caution, so it may be rebooted more
often than needed, but it's no less stable for the decision.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.