Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:28:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Terry Kennedy <terry@tmk.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/10872: Panic in soreceive() due to NULL mbuf pointer

>    I'm not familiar with the SE440BX, but we do know about a problem with
> the fxp [Pro/100+] on N440BX causing identical symptoms. People have reported
> trying de [DEC] boards and still having a similar problem. It seems to occur
> in conjunction with the NCR/Symbios controller, but noone has yet been
> able to put their finger on it. I've been told that the problem goes away
> when switching to an Adaptec. The problem definately seems to be related
> somehow to concurrent PCI DMA. I don't recall seeing any reports of this
> problem occuring with 440GX based motherboards (or anything else), so it
> leads me to think that it might be a bug in the 440BX chipset.

  Given that all of these boards use the 440BX chipset, that's certainly
possible. The Tyan 1662 board I was using has the FX chipset, but I haven't
used that board in this application for quite some time, and it may have
been an unrelated problem.

  I'd really rather not subsidize Adaptec (I switched to BusLogic and then
to NCR/Symbios a long time ago), but what Adaptec card would you recommend
as being well-supported and known to work with this chipset?

  Do you think switching to a 3Com 3C905-family card would work instead?
I have a bunch of those laying around.

  The controller I'm using has 2 NCR 875 chips and the DEC Ethernet chip
all on one board, behind a DEC (now Intel) 21152 PCI/PCI bridge chip. It's
an IntraServer 4280UE (http://www.intraserver.com/products/intel4000.html)

	Thanks,

	Terry Kennedy             http://www.tmk.com
        terry@tmk.com             Jersey City, NJ USA
        +1 201 451 4554 (voice)   +1 201 451 0900 (FAX)