Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:15:56 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jason Denton <denton@CS.ColoState.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with PCM device

If this is not the right list for this I would appreciate if you would
point me in the right direction. I've posted to comp.os.freebsd.misc and
not had any luck, likewise with various archive searches.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.1.1 upgrade from 4.01 because I had similar problem
there and thought the upgrade might help. I have a Trident 4DX sound card
from Jaton that I would like to get working. The kernel config file
contains the line "device pcm", and the new kernel correctly finds the
card at system boot, it gives the following message :

pcm0: <Trident 4DWave DX> port 0xd000-0xd0ff mem 0xeffff000-0xefffffff irq
9 at device 14.0 on pci0

I have done "sh MAKEDEV snd0" and this appears to have worked correctly,
greating softlinks from dsp to dsp0, ect.

When I run mpg123 I get the following error messages :

pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

And yes, I do get it twice. Very, very, rarely sound will work. This
may be based on wether or not I have previously booted into windows and
used the sound card there, but then again it may not. Output from uname -a
is :

FreeBSD Preacher 4.1.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE #8: Mon Oct  9 20:31:51
MDT 2000     root@Preacher:/usr/src/sys/compile/Preacher  i386

Is there some step in sound card setup that I am missing? Do I need to
adjust my kernel.config file (I don't seem to have one at present) or add
a line in the configuration file for the custom kernel? Or is this a known
bug? Is it being worked on or is there someone who can give me enough
information about sound in the kernel that I can try writting the patch
myself in a short amount of time?

Jason Denton