Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 06:51:40 -0700
From:      mikereed@speakeasy.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   natd won't nat

Trying an experiment using vtund (from ports/net) to open VPN connection from home (DSL) into FreeBSD box at work. I finally got the tunnel working on tun0, but when I try to send a packet from home, the FreeBSD gateway doesn't translate the packet.

network diagram:

home wrkstn (w2k)
----------------
10.0.0.10     ->

OpenBSD router
-------------------------------------
10.0.0.1(ep0) -> 192.168.1.1(tun0) ->

FreeBSD VPN gtwy
192.168.1.5(tun0) -> work LAN x.x.x.x(fxp0)

If I try to connect from say, 10.0.0.10 to x.x.26.27, the packet will leave fxp0 on the VPN box as 10.0.0.10 -> x.x.26.27 never to return (obviously).

I've got a kernel compiled with 'options IPFIREWALL' and 'options IPDIVERT'. I've got the appropriate entries in the rc.conf:

gateway_enable="YES"                                        firewall_enable="YES"                                       firewall_type="OPEN"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="fxp0"
natd_flags="-l"

I wasn't sure whether the firewall was a problem, so I just made a brand new rc.firewall with the following:

/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?