Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 11:36:41 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Editors in base FBSD

On Sunday,  6 January 2002 at 19:45:02 -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> On  Sunday, January 06, 2002 6:53 PM, Greg Lehey wrote:

>> If you think vi is very primitive, let alone more primitive than ee,
>> then you've missed something.  It's not primitive, it's very powerful,
>> but also a pain to use.
>
> As the original poster of this subject I may have
> worded my statements based on my experiences of editors
> I have used on IBM mainframes.  Very primitive to me
> equates to very hard to use (IE very un_user friendly)

I certainly wouldn't make that comparison.

> and I have not read any responses that disagree with that.

Well, you must have missed a couple that I saw, then.

> To me, a command line editor is one that is launched from the FBSD
> command line as to from within X11. I am building web servers,
> firewall servers, email servers and none of them will ever have x11
> installed or x11 desktops.

So put the editor on a different machine.

> I need a strong editor launched from the command line that does not
> need x11 to function. At work I can always plug the development FBSD
> box into the production hub to gain access to it from my personal
> production mswindows box and use tn3270 to telnet in or FTP/95 to
> move selected files over for edit update and return it.

This seems a really strange way of doing things.  Run X on your
development machine and use it as the display for the editor.

> But I really need a native FBSD edit solution for disaster recovery
> where the mswindows LAN is down or not present at that site.
>
> So let me re-ask my question to you in better terms.
>
> Do you know of any editors that are launched from the command
> line, that do not need x11 to run, that displays a full screen
> and uses mouse point & click to position the curser and allows
> cut or copy and past functions, along with PK keys for top of
> file, bottom of file, exit with save, exit without save, and
> standard keyboard arrow button & insert, delete, page up,
> page down buttons?

Yes, Emacs.  Note that, like just about every editor, it's dynamically
linked, so you'll need to have /usr online to use it.  The best way to
do this is to not have a separate /usr file system.

> What I am looking for is a full featured editor like ISPF edit on
> IBM MVS systems or it's clone PC ISPF EDIT for mswindows?

ISPF is not a full-featured editor.

It really looks to me like you want to use exactly the environment
you're used to, not the environment which would be most suitable.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.